Matshidiso Moeti, the organization’s director of the African continent, said that her “analysis shows that only one in seven cases has been detected, which means that the real burden of COVID-19 in Africa will be about 59 million.”,
Madrid (European Media).- On Thursday, World Health Organization (WHO), said that approximately 85% coronavirus cases in Africa were not detected. This increases the potential for infection to nearby areas of 85 to 59million.
“Our analysis shows that only one of seven cases has been identified. This means that COVID-19 will have a real burden in Africa,” Matshidiso Moeti Director of WHO’s Africa Department, said Matshidiso Moeti.
Therefore, he emphasized that “it’s time to start the offensive against covid-19 to face these challenges at the level of evidence” and seek to “shift from passive monitoring to proactive and community-based initiatives for the community initiatives promoted by WHO.”
Moeti said, “There are 67 million Africans following a complete vaccination plan, which is only 4.9% of the population of the African continent, but hundreds of millions of people are still vulnerable to serious diseases and death.”
He explained: “The end of the year celebrations are approaching. We have seen last year that the intensive travel and meetings in December led to an increase in the number of covid-19 cases.” For this reason, he advised countries on the African continent to “prepare for the fourth wave.”
He asked the “rich” countries, “most of whom have been vaccinated in two-thirds for their population,” and shared “a large number of vaccines against Covid-19, which is better than the next year.”
Official data from the World Health Organization shows that Africa has so far confirmed 8 million coronavirus cases, 214,000 435 deaths and 404,000 534 coronavirus infections. South Africa is the country most affected, with more that 2.9 million cases and around 88,500 deaths.