LONDON (AP), – The British police have announced they will not pursue Prince Andrew for sexual assault allegations against Jeffrey Epstein.
Virginia Giuffre claimed she was trafficked in 2001 by Epstein and that she had sex in London with Andrew when she was 17. She was also a minor under US law. The prince is being sued by her in the United States.
Andrew, Queen Elizabeth II’s second-born son, denied the allegations. In 2019, he told BBC that he never had sex in public with Giuffre, and added: “It didn’t happen.”
In August, the Metropolitan Police of London started reviewing the allegations against Epstein. Police Chief Cressida Dick said at the time, “No one can be above the law.”
The force said in a statement late Sunday that its “review has ended and we will not take further action.”
It also stated that it will not take action on the allegations first reported by Channel 4 News that Epstein’s accomplice, Gislain Maxwell, trafficked, groomed and abused women and girls in the UK
Maxwell, a British socialite is currently in American prison awaiting trial for her crime of recruiting girls for Epstein torture.
According to the force, it will keep in contact with other law enforcement agencies that are responsible for investigating Epstein-related matters.
Andrew’s lawyer acknowledged that Jufrey’s lawsuit was officially served on the prince at the end October after several weeks worth of legal disputes. The prince must reply to the claim no later than October 29.
Last week, a US judge agreed that Andrew’s lawyers received a copy of the 2009 settlement agreement between Giuffre and Epstein, which they believed would invalidate the civil lawsuit against the prince.
Andrew, 61, was dismissed from his job because of a friendship scandal he had with Epstein, a convicted pedophile. Epstein was in federal detention in New York and was found dead while awaiting trial. His suicide was convicted.
Unless victims are publicly identified, the Associated Press will not normally identify them. Giuffre did.