After being prompted by Jeffrey Epstein’s accusation that he sexually assaulted Prince Andrew in his youth, the British police said they won’t take any action against him.
Virginia Giuffre says she was trafficked in by Epstein in order to have sex in London with Andrew in 2001 when she was 17. She was a minor under U.S. Law. The prince is being sued by Giuffre in the U.S.
Andrew, the second child of Queen Elizabeth II, refutes the claims. In a BBC interview, he said that he has never had sex in public with Giuffre.
London’s Metropolitan Police started a review in August of the allegations surrounding Epstein, the late convicted sex-offender. Police chief Cressida Dick said at the time that “no one is above the law.”
The force said in a statement late Sunday that its “review has concluded and we are taking no further action.”
It also denied that it would pursue any actions regarding claims, first reported on Channel 4 News by Channel 4 News, in which Epstein’s alleged accomplice Ghislaine Maxwell, allegedly trafficked, groomed, and abused U.K. women and girls.
The force stated that it will continue to work with other law enforcement authorities who are leading the investigation into Epstein’s allegations.
After weeks and weeks of legal battle, Andrew’s lawyers finally admitted last month that Giuffre’s lawsuit had been served on the prince. The prince must respond to the claims no later than October 29.
A U.S. judge granted Andrew’s lawyers a copy of the 2009 settlement between Giuffre & Epstein. They believe it will nullify their civil case against him.
Andrew, 61 years old, was exiled from public royal duties in the wake of scandalous friendship with Epstein, a convicted pedophile. Epstein was found murdered in a New York federal detention facility in August 2019, while awaiting his trial for sex trafficking. His suicide was ruled.