The Chief of Staff of the Indonesian Armed Forces Hadi Tjahjanto confirmed on Sunday that the 53 crew members of the “KRI Nanggala 402” submarine that sank last Wednesday had died.
The Chief of Staff of the Indonesian Armed Forces, Hadi Tjahjanto, confirmed on Sunday that 53 crew members of the submarine “KRI Nanggala 402” were killed during a military exercise in Bali last Wednesday.
Rescuers obtained “visual images” of various parts of the submarine, such as the rear vertical rudder, various anchors and various parts of the hull.
The head of the Indonesian military explained at a press conference reported by the country’s press: “Based on real evidence, we announced that’KRI Nanggala 402′ had sunk and all its crew members had been killed.”
He said at a press conference in Bali: “Therefore, I am very sorry that, as the commander, I announced the death of 53 crew members of the’KRI Nanggala 402′.”
At the meeting, the submarine vest found by rescuers was displayed. This material is usually stored in an “emergency box”, so it is assumed that one of the soldiers opened it but could not wear it.
Indonesian Navy Commander Yudo Margono explained that the remote-controlled submarine of Singapore’s “MV Swift Rescue” entered the water at 7:00 in the morning and obtained the first image at around 9:00. The wrecked submarine was 850 meters deep.
Margono explained: “‘KRI Nanggala’ is divided into three parts: the hull, the stern and the main body are separated. The main body is cracked.”
The incident is under investigation, but since human error is correct throughout the dive, human error is currently not ruled out.
The goal now is to re-manufacture the German-made submarine, although Magno himself admitted that the particularity of the case made it difficult to determine the appropriate method.
Indonesian President Joko Widodo has expressed condolences to the families of these 53 sailors.
The president said in a message posted on YouTube: “This incident is a blow to all of us. We express our sincere condolences to this tragedy, especially to the sailors.”
An Australian ship and several American aircraft and 21 Indonesian warships also participated in the search. The Australian frigate “HMAS Sirius”, the Malaysian submarine “MV Mega Bhakti” and the Indian deep-sea rescue ship “SIC Sabarmati” also traveled to the area.
Three days after the last communication, the submarine was located about 95 kilometers north of Bali on Saturday. When the design maximum depth is 250-500 meters, its depth is about 850 meters. It is estimated that the oxygen supply will end on Saturday morning.