His parents didn’t know that the little boy was playing this dangerous game
His family reported Wednesday that in the United States, a 12-year-old boy died after complying with a TikTok requirement to choke himself until he lost consciousness.
Denver’s Olinger Hampden mortuary and cemetery published a Hai report on the Internet that Joshua Haileyesus passed away on Saturday.
According to the introduction on the GoFundMe page, he was initially hospitalized at the Colorado Children’s Hospital on March 22 and his life support was cancelled 19 days later. The page was originally dedicated to raising funds for medical expenses and is now raising funds for his funeral.
His twin brother discovered that he had passed out in the bathroom of Aurora’s home in the suburbs on March 22. KCNC-TV reported that the doctor told the family that the boy died of brain death.
Father Haieyesus Zerihun told the radio that a few days before his son went into a coma, he boasted to his brother that he could hold his breath for a minute. The “Power Outage Challenge” on TikTok requires users to hold their breath until they pass out.
The GoFundMe page said: “His parents didn’t know that Joshua didn’t realize the risks involved when playing this dangerous game.”
Joshua’s family hopes that his story will inspire others to talk about any games or challenges that are harmful to children and spread on social media.
TikTok has expressed “deep condolences” to the boy and his family.
A TikTok search for #blackoutchallenge does not return results, but warns that the phrase may be related to behavior or content that violates the site’s guidelines.
Joshua’s funeral is scheduled for Monday.