The President said that the terrorist attack on September 11 that took place 20 years ago could not prove that the US military continued to die.
Washington— President Biden announced on Wednesday that he would withdraw the remaining US troops from the “eternal war” in Afghanistan, and declared that the terrorist attack on September 11 that took place 20 years ago could not prove that US troops continued to lose their lives in the war. The country has had it before.
His plan is to withdraw US troops (2,500 men so far) on September 11 this year, which will be the anniversary of the coordinated attack in Afghanistan.
After Biden announced the news, NATO’s head in Brussels, Jens Stoltenberg, immediately commented that the alliance has agreed to withdraw about 7,000 soldiers from Afghanistan and agreed to Biden’s withdrawal from May 1. decision.
Biden said that the United States cannot continue to invest resources in a complex war and expect different results.
According to the peace treaty signed by the Trump administration with the Taliban last year, the evacuation may begin on May 1 rather than end, which is the deadline for complete evacuation.
Biden’s visit was announced after his visit to Arlington National Cemetery, which may mark his most important foreign policy decision in the early days of his presidency.
Biden has long been skeptical of the US presence in Afghanistan. As the vice president of Barack Obama, Biden was the only voice in the administration, suggesting that the 44th president would prefer a smaller counter-terrorism role in the country, while his military advisers urged him to increase troops to fight against Taliban.
Biden also made it clear that he wants to readjust the foreign policy of the United States to deal with greater challenges such as China and Russia.